Thursday, September 27, 2012

Television Show

I constantly catch myself thinking about how my life here is such a television show. Maybe a latin television show. Or possible a soap opera.
Example: babies pee on my clothes, people throw up on me, I walk off leaving my car door wide open, I fall down stairs, visiting 4 ATM's before finding one that allows my card to take out cash, etc.
I think you all get it.
My friend, Lindy, emailed me yesterday asking what all was new with me, and as I wrote her a novel about all the changes/exciting/dramatic things that had happened, I realized I needed to write this stuff down and sell it one day. Therefore I wanted to share some news of one, particularly exciting recent even in my life (watch out - lots of adjectives there).
As I wrote about a few months ago, I have officially been here one year! Although in some ways it seems like I have been here forever, I have definitely started to feel the wear and tear of missing home, family, and friends. One of the biggest differences for people living abroad is always culture. You have these stereotypes for latin cultures - always eating rice and beans - and while part of that is true, there are many other IMPORTANT aspects left out.
This culture is very blunt - which I believe I have mentioned before. People say what's on their mind, and while they are not trying to put you down, sometimes things translate that way and feelings get hurt. There is also lots of joking. While at first jokes can be funny, after a year of hearing the same jokes made at your expense, it gets a little old. Actually it gets REALLY old. So lately I have found myself feeling extra tired, testy, and easily annoyed. I have even found myself feeling lonely and sad at times. It's hard to believe anyone could feel lonely in a home where there are 55 energetic boys and (as of recent) lots of puppies to keep one company.
The difference is I am from the United States. Before I sometimes found myself trying to blend in as if I were Honduran, but now I am realizing this isn't anything to be ashamed of. It's where I was born & raised, and I am proud to call it home.
Therefore without further adieu, I reveal my exciting news...
I MOVED! Here is my justification before you all gasp and say, "but isn't Honduras too dangerous to live alone", etc. I really believe the main cause for all of those emotions listed above was the lack of personal space/privacy while living here at JEC. At times I found myself retreating to my room to eat lunch alone just to have a few minutes of quiet to myself. I think this is a very fair decision... something my soul needs. Considering I moved out of my parents' home when I finished high school and didn't move back in until before moving abroad, I have always done well living alone or with a few roommates. I am a big believer of the importance of alone time. Although I am really outgoing, my heart was longing for this privacy and separation from my job here at JEC and my personal life outside of work. God calls us to spend alone time with Him not just because He wants it, but because He knows WE n e e d it.
I moved in yesterday with the help of these good looking guys, and it was the easiest move- in ever. They did it all for me! I didn't even have to pay movers - just bought them all coke, and they were happy to help!
By 10 AM the moving truck was leaving my newly rented 2- story home, and all my belongings were making themselves nice and cozy in their new place... on the floor of the apartment. I am still lacking lots of furniture, considering I only have a armoire for clothes, refrigerator, kitchen table (which I purchased for $25 at the downtown market), and bed.
I've been running around the past two days like crazy trying to buy things I never needed while living at JEC - everything from a shower curtain and toilet paper to trash cans and a pantry (no luck yet). I know it will take time, just like in college when I had to buy all new furniture. Unfortunately here there's no flea market or TJ Maxx to get great things at great prices. Here its like a witch hunt. I will post more pix as things get settled, but know that this place is safe. Its right next door to a co-worker and another friend who is male and teaches at the bilingual school, and everyone who lives around me is family of my coworker. I feel like already everyone is going to watch out for me. This does not mean I am going to walk lightly, because I am always going to be cautious while in a different country.
Please pray for me during this change in my journey here. All the employees both here in Honduras and stateside believe this will be a good change for me. They all agree it is something I need considering I have had to alter so much to fit the culture here. I believe its time to have a little change and do something a little selfish. My worst fear would be to burn out and leave resentful or with a bad taste in my mouth. These boys pictured here are my hope and keep me going each day. I love the precious moments we have (which I will write about soon) each day, and I look forward to seeing their sweet faces every morning.
Cheers to change!

No comments:

Post a Comment