Monday, September 1, 2014

Grace

Sometimes when I go awhile without posting, its usually because things are going really well, or I'm really busy. This time its both. I'm currently home in Nashville awaiting the arrival of my first nephew. My parents are going to be grandparents and my brother a dad - all for the first time. It's a major milestone for us. I am so grateful to be able to come home and share this time with my family.

Another huge blessing for my soul is spending time worshipping at my home church. I owe a lot to God for placing my family and me in such a loving church. The people who love me there support me, pray for me, and encourage me.

In Sunday's sermon our preacher Chris mentioned how the upcoming series will be on grace. Mainly on how we would react as people if we truly believed in grace.

I have messed up many times, but through those mistakes I've witnessed grace. It is such a beautiful concept, but it is also extremely confusing. I think as a human and a sinner, it's almost impossible for me to understand God's grace, but we can always try.

Therefore I believe if I truly believed in grace, I would never worry. We spend so much time as humans worrying. Worrying about our jobs, our future, our love lives, etc. And God clearly tells us His grace is free and it is undeserved. If I truly believed in grace, I would walk this earth content with what each day held and never wish for more.

Being a type-A personality myself, I love to plan and dream of the future. I don't have a five year plan or know what/where I want to be in a few years, but I would be lying if I said I don't constantly think about "what's next" in my life. This leads to worrying, and it gets me no where.

In a culture (Honduras) where people teach more about being proud and strong rather than humble, it is so difficult to teach this concept to these boys. I cannot count how many times I tell them humility is my favorite quality in a person. It's a foreign idea to them, but its a quality I see so clearly in Jesus and His followers. It's a quality that I so deeply want to see daily in myself.

So that's my answer to Chris' question this week.

If I truly believed in grace (and if I fully understood it), I would spend my days worrying less about my earthly troubles and focusing more on my heavenly future. 


I think that's a good goal for the rest of this year, right? 
Thank you, Lord, for your grace. You are so good to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment