Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Welcome Home!


I'm currently at a new home! Here I am at Jovenes en Camino, and I've already killed about 25 spiders in my bedroom. That's neat I guess. I love it though. I could not be happier to be here with all my favorite kiddos.

One of my biggest jobs is going to be working with the 6 boys who attend Allison Bixby School in Zamorano, Honduras. This is a bilingual school where most of the day is actually taught in English, and IT IS AMAZING how fast and how much the boys have already learned. I am extremely impressed.

The only issue is that some of these boys suffer from malnutrition. When they were younger, unfortunately the damage was done at an early age as far as their health and emotional status is considered. While they have worked hard and long with the boys emotionally and mentally, their physical learning abilities were damaged from suffering from malnutrition.

This damage is easily seen in Jose Alexander, who now is in 1st grade at the Alison school. While it is incredible the progress he has made, he still suffers tremendously. Last night we were working on simple addition, but he struggles to even identify numbers in spanish, let alone how to say them in english.


Considering Jose was extremely neglected in every way when he was born, his progress now is quite incredible, even if it is behind his classmates. Yesterday I taught him how to say "pick me up", since he is one of the only ones who still lets me hold him! As you can see by his precious face, he is absolutely adorable, and I don't care one bit that he broke my sunglasses yesterday... haha :)



Miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. sweet jose:) i hope all is well in Honduras! I miss you so much and i love your blog! Tell all of the ninos i say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, you are being prayed over by the Ford girls! You are light in a dark world. I love getting updates from your sweet mama. Blessings to you and all of your children. I hope you killed all the spiders =)
    Love you, beautiful girl,
    Mrs. Ford

    ReplyDelete