Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Humorous Post

I'm feeling quite humorous today. The problem here lies that I am in a spanish-speaking country, and I have to actually try to be funny here. It's not the most difficult task at home, where everyone speaks the same language. The funniest thing I can do here is tell people about my experiences I have on a day-to-day basis.
Exhibit A: The bed I slept in this past weekend. Incase you are not able to see the large holes in the side and foot of the mattress here, don't you doubt for a second they aren't there. The part that is not visual by photo is the fact that I could feel every spring in the mattress when I attempted to "lay" my body in this bed. The best part is that once I mounted this gem, my body rolled towards the center and remained there until the morning light.
Exhibit B: This past weekend I was served "chicken feet soup". To avoid being rude, I did not whip out my camera and snap a picture of the chicken's foot that was floating in my soup. I really wish someone had snapped a shot of my face when this bowl of "soup" was placed in front of me, because in that instant I wanted to die. This instead is a photo I found on the internet, but is very similar to what I experienced. The family I was visiting kept talking about how incredible delicious this soup was, and the 7 year old girl next to me literally bit into the chicken's ankle like it was filet mignon. To avoid crying at the table, I sipped the broth and ate the potatoes and vegetables continually commenting on how hot the soup was (to avoid picking up the foot and facing my death). As soon as the grandmother (who cooked this brew) stepped out of the kitchen, I whipped the two small chicken's feet out of my soup and plopped them into the bowl of the 7 year old, chicken-feet-lover. She thanked me thrice, and that was that. A small disclaimer: this picture is an exaggeration of how large the feet were. They were honestly small, perhaps from a young fellow whose life ended too soon. The ankle and toes were really the only part served in my soup - the upper thighs were left out of this dinner (thank you, sweet Jesus).
My time here is really full of hilarious moments filled with humility and occasional utter disgust. I will try to write about more of these moments soon. Some possible topics would be how I sometimes shower with a bucket of freezing, cold water, how I seem to have no equilibrium here at all and constantly fall down, or perhaps about how I've been peed on and thrown up on twice. -- Anyone have any requests?

No comments:

Post a Comment