Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day Isn't Just For Birth Moms

Not exactly sure why, but Mother's day here is celebrated the same day as Mother's day in the US (even though Father's day is different?). Here it might even be considered a bigger deal, and is really celebrated in a big way.
the men of JEC
The men of Jovenes always come together and plan some big "secret" day for the women, and then those who have wives invite them to come along. We all know each other well by now, so we really are like one, big family when we head out on the blue JEC bus.
Each invite had our picture on it!
This year we received formal invitations the day before our outing inviting us to join them in Valley of the Angels (about 2 hrs away from JEC). So Thursday we loaded up the bus all dressed in our finest and headed towards out destination. We arrived at a private club with a pool, jungle gyms, ponies, a small "zoo" and a restaurant. We sat in a U shape where our "master of ceremonies", Tio Elvir, welcomed everyone and several more of our coworkers spoke about what "mothers" mean to them. We played a game and then everyone was quite hungry.
ladies of JEC
Leave it to the men to choose good food - so when I say we feasted, we really feasted. After full bellies we played another game where THIS GIRL won another full plate of food to take home for dinner :) Each lady received several gifts including a mother's day coffee mug, tubberware and a pedicure set.
local art in Valley of the Angels
After walking around the club, taking group pictures, and letting our food settle, we headed to downtown valley of the angels, a very touristy spot, and spent some time shopping. It was an awesome day to relax and enjoy each others company as coworkers in a non-work environment.
my boys minus Daniel who was being camera shy
My second mother's day celebration was on Monday at the bilingual school, Allison Bixby Stone. Several of the boys had invited me to be their mom and come eat lunch with them. We were invited to sit with the boys, have lunch, play games, and were serenaded by live music. The boys made me cards and bracelets, and we ate pupusas for lunch.
Norman and Cristian making bracelets
Although I am not their birth mother or even their adopted mother, I feel like these boys are my family. I feel protective over them. Punishing them hurts me worse than them (finally learned that lesson was true). I am happy when they are happy. I am elated when they are successful and hurt for them when they are down.
Antony
Antony, the youngest in kindergarten, even made me this sweet flower box and wrote "Happy Mom's Day" on it. I am proudly displaying it on my desk in the office today and considering never taking it off.
my sweet flower box Antony made me

Needless to say I am feeling loved and appreciated and am so proud to be a mother-figure to these boys! And to all those women out there who may not be birth mothers, you have just as much right to celebrate this day as any.


*I would like to take this chance to remind everyone I am currently fundraising to help pay for my new house I wrote about in my last post. If you can help in any way, please visit my DONATE page at the top of my blog or share my blog with others you know. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment